Workplace injuries are common. If you haven’t experienced one personally, you probably know someone who has. What’s less common is knowing the best way to file a workers comp claim so that you can receive maximum protection and benefit. In this blog post, we want to give you the clarity and resources you need in order to best protect yourself and those you love. If you’ve been injured at work, what steps do you need to take?

Step 1

Get the medical care you need right away. You don’t need to wait till a claim has been approved in order to get the medical attention necessary for your injury. If the injury is not an emergency, you may want to consult the medical information posted by your employer. GA state law requires employers to make information about approved medical care providers available to all employees.

Step 2

Fill out an official notice of claim Form WC-14 and turn it in to the State Board of Workers’ Compensation. You can do this by calling 404-656-3818 (inside the metro Atlanta area) or 1-800-533-0682 (outside the metro Atlanta area), or by writing:

State Board of Workers’ Compensation

270 Peachtree St., NW

Atlanta, GA 30303

Step 3

Tell your employer about your injury as quickly as possible, and send a copy of your claim form (WC-14) to both your employer and your employer’s insurance. According to GA state law, this must be done within 30 days of your injury in order for you to be eligible for coverage. If you don’t know who your employer is insured through, you can call the State Board of Workers’ Comp at 404-656-3692 in order to find out.

Georgia functions with a no-fault workers’ comp system. According to Nolo, what that means is you do not need to show that your employer caused your injury in order to receive benefits, as long as your injury happened on the job or was caused by your work activities.

Eligible workers may receive a variety of benefits, including:

  • temporary and permanent disability compensation (payments for wage loss)
  • reasonable and necessary medical care, and
  • vocational rehabilitation (training or education for a new line of work).

If you’ve been injured, don’t wait to get care! Instead, turn in your paperwork and consult an attorney if you need help sorting out all the moving parts!